6.0 ford white smoke at start up.

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

6.0 ford white smoke at start up.

mark31019 mark31019
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/29/10
08:22 PM

i have a 05 ford 6.0 powerstroke. have been losing a little water  over the last month. not leaking that i can find, not running hot, temp gauge runs about half way between c an h. overflow tank cracked and replaced it, since then noticed water lose. loose about a gallon every few weeks. a couple days ago went to crank it up and notice good bit of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. going up in the air it disappears about ten foot up. but it's thick below that. put my hand over the exhaust pipe, it has a slight diesel smell and not really wet. about four or five miles down the road the smoking disappears, no smoke. this is a service truck so it's on and off all day on. through out the day it's fine. runs fine even when smoking it runs fine. any ideas????? Confused  Confused  Confused  

diesel470 diesel470
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 01/29/10
10:07 PM

Definately sounds like an egr issue. My '04 had the same symptoms, took it to my mechanic and turned out to be a busted coolant line running from the egr cooler. Hope this helps. If at all possible, and this is what i did with my truck, i would delete the egr system, it will solve your current problems and prevent any future ones. with the 6.0L motor, its not if the egr will cause you problems, but when and how many times.