Timing the Injector Pump

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Timing the Injector Pump

tdbt3c tdbt3c
User | Posts: 200 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 03/01/10
06:22 PM

So today I removed the injector pump from my '88 7.3L. When I did, the timing gear shifted. According to my Chilton manual all I have to do is align the scribes on the pump and the pump adapter housing. But that doesn't make much sense considering both those scribe are on permant parts and can't move, thus they are always aligned.
Is there a quick way to make sure that it is timed properly before I put it all on and try starting the truck and learning the hard way. Something like the key on the timing gear being at TDC when the flywheel is in a certain position or something. I need some permanant point of reference to time it all from. Any thoughts?  
1988 F-250 7.3L w/Banks Sidewinder Turbo. Custom flat bed with hydraulic dump.

howell57 howell57
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 03/02/10
07:54 PM

i aint sure. but since you said your having the same problem i figured i would tell you i talked with an actual international diesel mech. and he said there is a spring in the pump that breaks that causes the problem we are having. and when you get ur pump on and timed could you let me know if that solves the problem? thanks  

tdbt3c tdbt3c
Posted: 03/03/10
12:10 PM

Did you not already get your pump put on? I am heading home this weekend to get the pump off my old 6.9L. My neighbor is a diesel mechanic and put it on for me a couple years ago. He should know how to time it. I will give him a call to figure it out and then put it on here. Just keep an eye out for it.  

howell57 howell57
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 03/03/10
07:31 PM

nope i aint got it on tet actually i aint even got it yet. the guy who has it is about 3 hours away and aint brought it yet we have had some bad weather  

tdbt3c tdbt3c
Posted: 03/08/10
09:57 PM

I hope I am not too late. When you go to remove your old pump, DO NOT REMOVE THE TIMING GEAR!
Good Scenario: What would be best to do is line your timing gear up on top dead center (TDC). Remove the cover from the front of the oil fill/timing gear cover. This will expose the three bolts holding the timing gear to the injector pump. Then, either by bumping the starter or manually turning the flywheel, you can line up the pin on the gear up on TDC. Go ahead an remove the old pump and install the new one, and just rotate the pump as needed to align the new pump with the timing gear. If for any reason the timing gear does get moved, so long as you don't rotate the engine, you can just replace the gear with the pin at TDC.
Worst Case Scenario: The timing gear has a scribe that looks like a "Y" that points to a given tooth on the gear. The cam gear that the timing gear aligns with has a similar "Y" in the gear that is in the valley between two teeth. Align the scribe on the timing gear tooth with the hole in this valley. However, to see the hole you will either need a magical mirror, or you have to remove the entire front of the engine, and remove the plate behind the water pump to see the cam gear. I spent all day on that today. Luckily it was nice weather!
I also reccommend replacing your glow plugs while you have the pump and injector lines out. It makes it a lot easier. This would also be a good time to replace all the o-rings and caps on the injector return lines.
Good Luck! Cool  

tdbt3c tdbt3c
Posted: 03/11/10
04:04 PM

Please note the change above if you read it before 3/11/2010. I had said to align the "Y" on the pump gear with the hole in the gear below it. That was wrong. If you do that you will be 180 degrees out of time.
There is a similar "Y" in the larger gear. With the timing cover off, when all is aligned you will see 4 gears in a stack. The top is the pump gear. Going down the stack you should see two "Y"'s touching on the top two gears, and two holes aligned on the second and third gears.
Sorry for any confusion.
On a second note, the two scribe marks on the pump and the gear cover are for fine tuning the engine. If the engine is running well but not quite right, loosen the three bolts that hold the pump to the cover in order to adjust the timing on a finer scale.