black smoke!!!

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

black smoke!!!

lheur350eux lheur350eux
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/04/10
10:23 PM

i know is tacky an lame as it sounds but i was wondering how to get the exsessive black smoke pouring out without adding a tremdous amount of power? for the ford 6.0L is there a certin chip/programmer that works. plus the exhaust or do i have to start getting into the serious upgrades?  

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2036 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 03/04/10
11:58 PM

Like I said in another post .... 5 gallons of gas and a Zippo lighter.

With all the problems the Ford/NaviStar 6.0L engine had, I wouldn't even consider doing this ..... even with major mods.

Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

SmokenGun SmokenGun
Guru | Posts: 908 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 03/05/10
09:33 AM

OMG!!! What is wrong with you people??? As a 6.0L owner I can tell you chiping/programming a 6.0L without headstuds and an EGR-delete and you will BLOW UP your engine!!!

Programming for black smoke is STUPID and you will destroy your engine, especially a 6.0L!!

Like Marine said, A lighter into the fuel tank and she'll smoke real good!!!  
-97 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie SLT 5.9L 12-valve Cummins, 47RE, 4x4, 3:55's, CC, LB, KDP fixed, S&B intake, silencer ring gone, 4" straight-pipe exhaust, 4,000rpm GSK, 60lb. valve springs, #10 fuel plate, boost elbow, re-torqued stock head bolts, BD steering box stabilizer, Autometer boost, EGT, and trans. temp. gauges, AMSOIL full synthetic fluids, lots of other small stuff. 150,000 miles. Next: Fully built transmission (Goerend or Sun Coast).

Jason Gonderman Jason Gonderman
Administrator | Posts: 439 | Joined: 12/06
10:46 AM

A lighter and gas... that's a good one.. I'm gonna use that... lol

Listen to these guys, it's not worth it just for the 'look'.  
------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as they offer a Ranger with a Diesel in America, I'll be the idiot camping out in front of the Ford Dealer!

manontractor manontractor
User | Posts: 88 | Joined: 11/09
01:04 PM

Hello Dp Web Editor, fancy seeing you around here haha  
--------------------
1975 Scout II XLC built with spare parts

"glenddddddddaaaaaaallllleeee!!!!!!!" (04-Z71)

SmokenGun SmokenGun
01:19 PM

Seriously, you guys who are building your trucks for JUST black smoke are waisting your time and money. Its an excersize in futility.

what you want is to build your truck for performance and efficiency. Dont worry, you will still get plenty of black smoke out of it. A 6.0L needs headstuds and an EGR delete/block-off plate to be stable, but keep in mind the headstud job is VERY expensive. After that I would get an aftermarket air intake (S&B makes a good one, but theres are other choices for sure) and a performance exhaust system. Tuning is also important on a 6.0L to make it run correctly/efficiently. Get custom tunes from either Innovative Diesel Performance or Elite Diesel Engineering and not one of those trash programmers that EDGE or Banks puts out.

If you do that your truck will smoke a lot on the extreme/race tunes, BUT will still run correctly and ACTUALLY MAKE GOOD POWER and not JUST black smoke. On the lower power levels (economy, tow, daily driving) your truck wont smoke much or at all, but will still make solid power to have fun with Smile!  
-97 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie SLT 5.9L 12-valve Cummins, 47RE, 4x4, 3:55's, CC, LB, KDP fixed, S&B intake, silencer ring gone, 4" straight-pipe exhaust, 4,000rpm GSK, 60lb. valve springs, #10 fuel plate, boost elbow, re-torqued stock head bolts, BD steering box stabilizer, Autometer boost, EGT, and trans. temp. gauges, AMSOIL full synthetic fluids, lots of other small stuff. 150,000 miles. Next: Fully built transmission (Goerend or Sun Coast).

lheur350eux lheur350eux
08:43 PM

i must say thanks alot for thoughs who considering first time diesel timers. unlike some of the ass holes that stay on this site an bash people that are still learning the diesel life. like i said thanks to thoughs who considering us first timers and are here for learning ideas an getting good information. i know if was an ass hole like some of the fools on here i would forsurely make fun of you too. jeezus consideration an respect my friends and im sure everyone would love to achieve dummy car efficent diesels.  

SmokenGun SmokenGun
09:38 PM

The reason people react the way they do on here is because SO MANY people who dont know *** about diesel engine operation come on here and want to know how to make their truck smoke like a freight train and its F enn annoying!!

BTW, the people who react harshly on here are the people who actually know what their doing and can give your real knowledgable answers!  

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2036 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 03/06/10
05:13 AM

Okay then, class is in session.

Overfueling a diesel is what makes it smoke because fuel isn't being burned.  Unlike a gas engine that requires more fuel to go fast, diesels simply need more air.  More air burns the fuel better, and this is why diesels are called "air pumps".

Now, overfueling a diesel increases EGT's (exhaust gas temps) and this will cause several issues like emmissions problems and emmissions equipment failure, engine oil scalding, turbo failure (explode, melt/cook, etc.), overheating the exhaust system (exhaust manifold to the tailpipe), and increased engine temps.  The increase in engine temps can lead to injector failure, piston failure, cylinder scaring, failure of pistons/rings, failure of head gasket, oil/coolant mixing, coolant in oil/oil in coolant, and overpressurizing the coolant system.

Now do you want to continue to be a jerk, or do you want to listen to those that really know what is going on?

Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

lheur350eux lheur350eux
09:27 AM

once again thanks for all your help its forsurely sunk into me now haha of what to really do to consider the right way of doing diesel performance without destroying my truck! at this point i think ill just stick to the normal of just an exhaust system an intake!  

SmokenGun SmokenGun
11:37 AM

Yep, when upgrading your diesel truck just make sure you do your research and select parts carefully. Talk to guys who know what there doing and get professional input. Call diesel performance companies you want parts from and talk to them, they are more than happy to help Grin

Read LOTS of Diesel Power mag! Reading this mag thoroughly will increase your diesel knowledge 10 fold!

Also, you should join "PowerstrokeNation.com". Its a forum for all things Powerstroke and the guys on there can really help you with your truck! Its FREE Wink

-Have a good one man  

theSLEEPER. theSLEEPER.
Guru | Posts: 1748 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 03/08/10
11:38 AM

What are your goal for the truck? I bet we can get you 400+ rwhp without much smoke at all. You'll outrun most of the guys in your town, and maybe even keep your coolant IN the motor where it belongs. Stick around. You'll learn something.  
DIESEL INNOVATIONS

Call me for all your performance part needs!

228-365-Zero Six Nine Eight!

$1150 shipped for Garrett 6.0 PowerMax's.
$1350 shipped for 7.3  38R's!