lbz fuel/tuner issues....

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

lbz fuel/tuner issues....

jsenica2190 jsenica2190
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 04/01/10
03:37 PM

i have a 07lbz with afe stage2, silver line 4" turbo back, and edge attutude w/juice.. ive always had the low fuel rail pressure prob. since i installed the chip (only a 80rwhp tune) not sure how some peoples trucks handle the ppe HOT+2... besides the fuel rail pressure prob, under full power reignment it almost seemed like the chip would cut in and out or kinda bog down while trying to run quarter mile or just accelerate fast. i thought i was not getting enough fuel so i installed the ppe race fuel valve, and ppe ported fuel rail fitting, and i bought the ppe cp3 pump inlet fitting but realized it was too much work for what it could do. these upgrades helped but my chip is still cutting in and out. do i need to replace the programmer or install a lift pump or what?? please help... and what to ppl think about the edge evolution RACE? i want somthing to remove speed limiter  
07 classic duramax 2" level kit 33x12.5xR20 toyo m/t edge/afe stage 2/4"silverline turbo back

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2050 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 04/01/10
10:36 PM

IMO, this looks like it *could be* a fuel related issue, but you need to do a couple of things first ....

First, you need to find out how much fuel you're getting to the injector pump.
Second you need to find out how much pressure your fuel rail has.

Finding out how much fuel is getting to the CP3 and what the rail pressure is will be the biggest indicators to fixing your problems.  You can do this with a couple of gauges; one monitoring your lift pump and another monitoring your fuel rail pressure.  For the lift pump look for no less than 8 psi at wide open throttle, and no less than 15,000 to 17,000 for the rail pressure.

Now there is a REALLY good chance you'll fix this with a lift pump upgrade and a secondary CP3 .... but I don't want you to just throw money at it and not understand what you did to fix it.  If you don't have the gauges, find a decent diesel shop and explain to them what you think it might be (basically what I'm describing) and let them help you.

And then invest in some manual gauges .... EGT, boost, auto tranny temp, lift pump/fuel rail pressure.

Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

jsenica2190 jsenica2190
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 04/02/10
03:39 PM

my cousin has a repair shop that has a fairly new scanner that should tell me my pump and rail pressure.. ill check that first but i was reallly hoping it was the edge juice that was f***ed up. for an 80/100hp tune i shouldnt need a second cp3 should i? the truck only has 50k on it and has been doin it since day one of installing the edge. @ about 30K.. thanks for the input!

(i still want to know how i buy a brand new truck and wont hold a 80rwhp tune correctly.. people that have 100k mile trucks will hold ppe hot and hot+2 i just dont get it)

Jeff  
07 classic duramax 2" level kit 33x12.5xR20 toyo m/t edge/afe stage 2/4"silverline turbo back

DarrenH. DarrenH.
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/15/10
08:17 PM

I have a '07 Sierra Classic with a PPE Hot+2 programmer. I currently run it on the tow setting (90hp)but have run it on the 150hp setting and i haven't had any problems with fuel. The PPE however, is programmed with a de-fueler that shuts it down between shifts to keep from messing up the tranny. I would tend to think it would be the Edge tuner not working correctly. Have you tried un-installing the tune and re-installing it to see if it made any difference?

2007 GMC Sierra LBZ Duramax.S&B intake, PPE Hot+2 Tuner, MBRP 4" Dual exhaust.Leveling Kit/285/75R16 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A's.  

Richies Truck and Auto Richies Truck and Auto
Enthusiast | Posts: 362 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 04/16/10
10:04 AM

Hey bud, you do not need dual CP3s w/that tune. You should install a lift pump though when running any fuel regiment significantly more demanding than stock.  I would highly recommend installing one if you dont already have one at this point. The fuel rail upgrades were with good intentions, but that tune doesn't require it and you need to have a fully upgraded system to gain the benefits of such components anyway. Honeslty, changing small parts w/o increasing delivery results in negligible differences and can sometimes cause an imbalance in fueling performance. It sounds like your getting fuel surging due to the CP3's inability to maintain stable pressure due to a restriction or such. Make sure your fuel filter is in good shape first and either turn the tune down one level or install that pump. Give me a call if you wish, its easier to discuss than wait for a response each time. Richies Truck and Auto 516-680-7377  
Rich
05 GMC 3500HD CC/LB LLY
Fully built!
06 GMC 2500HD CC/SB LBZ:
Being built....
2011 3500HD H&S...
2013 Denali 3500HD H&S....