Wastegate Stuck Open

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Wastegate Stuck Open

tdbt3c tdbt3c
User | Posts: 200 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 04/01/10
04:15 PM

I have a Banks Sidewinder turbo on my '88 7.3L. The turbo has been on the truck for about a year and a half now with everything working fine. A few weeks back I started getting random surges of boost (see my other posting). I thought it was fuel surges at the time so I swapped out the injection pump. No sooner than I did that I started having problems with the turbo. I thought the new (used actually) injection pump was messed up and not getting me enough fuel delivery. But then looking under the hood we discovered that my wastegate was not actuating like it should be. It appears to be stuck about half open. With my foot on the floor going up a big hill I am only getting a max of 5 psi of boost when I should  be pushing 10-12.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you fix it? Will I have to pull the turbo? Please help if you have any advice.  
1988 F-250 7.3L w/Banks Sidewinder Turbo. Custom flat bed with hydraulic dump.

tdbt3c tdbt3c
Posted: 04/01/10
04:28 PM

I just did a little more reading on line about this. It seems it is not an isolated event. I did not see a plague of issues with Banks turbos, but just read about other people with wastegates sticking open or closed. I guess the truck did sit outside without being driven much for about 6 months. I guess it is a sensitive enough apparatus that a little bit of rust can do a lot of damage. I am going to try some penetrating oil for now to try and break it loose, and later take the turbo off and clean it really well. Some high-temp antiseize should make sure it won't happen again.  

tdbt3c tdbt3c
Posted: 04/07/10
12:47 PM

So I called Banks on this and they said that they have not had many, if any, issues of wastegates siezing. The technician said that even though 10 psi does not seem like that much, the way that it acts through the wastegate actuator makes it a force much larger, so you should not be able to just grab the connector rod and move it. He said from the way it sounds, the turbo is loosing boost pressure somewhere between the turbo and the intake, either through the rubber connection hose, or perhaps around the intake where there is a big rubber o-ring.
As a way of troubleshooting a sticking wastegate he had me try the following. Disconnect the hose that runs from the turbo inlet area to the wastegate actuator and plug the free end. That way the actuator cannot work off of the turbo boost, and should not open, regardless of how much boost you push. I tried this and noticed no change.
However in my mind, if the wastegate is stuck open, it won't matter whether the actuator is trying to work or not. I suppose I need to take it all apart and make sure I am not getting a leak anywhere.  

tdbt3c tdbt3c
Posted: 04/19/10
03:21 PM

No turbo problem! I finally manned up on the wastegate and tried moving it myself. It is hard to overcome the spring, but I did, proving that my wastegate was not stuck. The problem was just not enough fuel delivery. I swapped the original injection pump back on and everything is fine. I guess when I turned up the screw on the new injection pump it wasn't enough. Even when I pulled the pump off and tried to turn the screw it wouldn't budge.
So how did we figure this out? The good old fashion smoker way. I stomped on the pedal and my truck didn't blow any black smoke like it used to. Now it does, and my turbo also works correctly again.