2006 6.0 FORD f350 TURBO DIESEL BLOWING WHITE SMOKE

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

2006 6.0 FORD f350 TURBO DIESEL BLOWING WHITE SMOKE

dmoore113 dmoore113
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/09/10
05:38 AM

ALL OF A SUDDEN IT STARTED BLOWING LOTS OF WHITE SMOKE WHEN STARTED UP THIS MORNING AND WONT STOP?  

fledf66273 fledf66273
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/28/10
06:07 AM

Did you ever figure this out?  

07ford6.0 07ford6.0
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/08/11
01:36 PM

How many miles do you have on the motor????  

Jacknif3_jo3 Jacknif3_jo3
User | Posts: 113 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 11/08/11
07:25 PM

Egr Cooler, Thats steam coming out your tail pipe, you'll start losing coolant. This is serious you can end up lifting your heads off the block or hydro lock the motor. You can either delete the entire egr system or go get an upgraded egr cooler. But one morning you'll go out and she be locked right up if you keep driving it. Good Luck Bro  

07ford6.0 07ford6.0
Posted: 11/10/11
10:43 AM

That not always true if it was alot of miles on it the injectors can be going out also that also makes white smoke blow  

04:42 PM

No injectors won't make it puff white smoke all the time, just when it's warming up you'll get a puff or two... besides they slowly that way, unless you starved them for fuel. Than there would be more symptoms than just white smoke. In example rough start up bumping and jerking, or misfiring, I even had a 6.0 start shaking at highway speeds because of one injector burn up. The symptoms he is giving is pointing at the egr cooler which goes on all 6.0s sooner or later. Maybe the head bolts are stretched. But hey it's only my opinion that developed from the same experiences with owning the dreaded 6.0's.  

theSLEEPER. theSLEEPER.
Guru | Posts: 1748 | Joined: 04/08
06:48 PM

I have a 6.0 waiting on diagnosis right now. Was pouring white unburnt diesel smelling smoke for about 5 miles after a very hard cold start, losing water,  and had a 25*F differential between the oil and water.  Took it for a ride to warm it up and it was driving fine. Did a power balance test and passed with flying colors.  Brought it home and parked it. Next evening, click, hydrolocked. Gonna pull the glow plugs and I'll keep you all updated.  
DIESEL INNOVATIONS

Call me for all your performance part needs!

228-365-Zero Six Nine Eight!

6 Position Custom Tuned Chips!! $320 shipped!  
SCT X4's for your 6.0!! Call me for details!

11:03 PM

my fingers are crossed LOL!!  

theSLEEPER. theSLEEPER.
Guru | Posts: 1748 | Joined: 04/08
11:13 PM

I honestly will be very surprised if it's not a cracked injector nozzle.  
DIESEL INNOVATIONS

Call me for all your performance part needs!

228-365-Zero Six Nine Eight!

6 Position Custom Tuned Chips!! $320 shipped!  
SCT X4's for your 6.0!! Call me for details!

Posted: 11/12/11
02:49 PM

Oh no hope that piston never melt down  

07ford6.0 07ford6.0
Posted: 11/15/11
01:20 PM

good luck sleeper444 but your right it wouldn't always be the injectors but that's what happened to mine and it also happened when the head bolts stretched.  

06FORD6.0 06FORD6.0
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/02/12
04:55 PM

Ok, here we go. I'm a new owner of a used 2006 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.0L, 98'000 miles+ and only 2 weeks after I purchased it, it began to idle a little rough like it was missing on one cylinder and put out a small amount of white smoke at first while idling, very small. But when I accelerated it while in "Park", it went from white to black then to nothing....clear!! Continued to drive it for 2 more days and it became worse, to the point that people behind me moved to another lane. Kinda embarrassing!! Well after reading the posts here and other places of the issues the 6.0 had I came to my own conclusion that I will have to be careful of the beast under the hood. It will need to be definately serviced on time and not just left to sit in the drive way or street waiting to haul my trailer around or go to home depot or the dump. The beast needs to run and run frequently and not just to the store. These engines are meant to work!!! So work'em, with common sense of course.
The issues with white smoke some say are only coolant and others say it may be the injectors. Usually it's one or the other. Mine in particular is most likely the injectors one or more. I noticed as it was being put on a flatbed tow truck today that raw diesel was dripping from the tailpipe connecting to the CAT.
"Well there you go" I said to myself. It has to be an injector problem. Where else would this come from, not from the EGR Cooler or Head Gaskets. I was not loosing coolant or overheating at all. Had plenty of power while on the highway and around town, just smoked really bad!

Things to check for when you have white smoke only.

EGR Cooler: Coolant entering the engines exhaust via a cracked/leaking EGR Cooler
1)Loss of power, runs like CRAP!
2)Coolant level lower than normal.
3)Engine overheating or may show slight increase in temp under your normal operating conditions.
4)Coolant/wetness in EGR housing. Remove EGR to check. Look down in the housing and it should be dry and/or sooty for the most part. There MAY be a very small amount of oily residue towards the front of the housing (that's OK) and none towards the back. If it is dry in there, your EGR cooler is OK.

Head Gasket: Coolant entering the cylinder's via a blown head gasket.
1)Loss of power, runs like CRAP!
2)Coolant level lower than normal.
3)Engine overheating fairly quickly or quicker than normal.
4)Higher than normal pressure in the degass bottle during operation. Need a pressure test kit to do this.
5)Coolant moisture or liquid coming out of tailpipe and sweet smell of coolant. You may see coolant leaking from exhaust pipe connections under the vehicle if it's really bad or been operating it that wat for a while.
6)Engine is Hydrolocked. Won't crank over, You may get a partial crank or none at all.

Fuel Injectors: Leaking or pouring excessive amounts of fuel into the cylinder/s-Flooding the engine.
1)May be hard starting depending on how many injectors are bad, also may create a hydrolock scenario,(too much fuel in one or more cylinders).
2)Rough idle and especially when put it in gear with your foot still on the brakes.
3)Small to large loss of power depending on how many injectors are bad.
4)Contant white smoke puffing out while at idle and a ton of it coming out if you accelerate the throttle slow or fast, don't matter and it stays constant.
5)The smell of raw diesel coming out at the tailpipe.
6)Exhaust pipe connections are possibly leaking raw diesel under the vehicle.

By the way, if you get the code P0405 with your scanner, do yourself a favor, just replace the EGR. The internal electrical component is fried or on it's way out, due probably to a dirty EGR getting stuck all the time and the circuit staying on to do it's job which it can't do because the damn valve is stuck and the circuits are getting over heated! Just my opnion though. Cleaning it is VERY temporary and won't last if you get that code to pop-up. I believe it may need to be cleaned and lubed regularly to avoid getting fried. It's real easy to do. Although, I do keep a fresh one in my toolbox for Smog purposes just in case. I live in California so I don't think I can delete it. Damn California emmisions!!

I believe these are the basic things to look for without taking it to a shop first, so you at least have an idea of what is wrong with your engine. The headgasket repalcement will kill your wallet since the cab needs to be lifted off of the truck, but the rest you can do yourself if your warranty expired.

I hope this helps whomever finds this post. The posts helped me learn the 6.0 from a variety of opinions and personal experiences and knowledge. I understand this engine probably better than I should now.  

strokemyego strokemyego
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/09/12
05:39 PM

almost agree with 6.0. however a 6.0 does not require cab off to replace cylinder head gaskets, 6.4's are the cab lift trucks. it is usually a an egr cooler problem, however stuck or leaking injectors can cause this too. simple field test is smell your exhaust, does it smell sweet like coolant? is your coolant level low? does your engine sound like its hydrolocking every morning? this is usually head gaskets or egr cooler. you can pull out your egr valve (located front of the intake) by disconnecting it, removeing the 2 8 mil bolts and prying it gently and slowly. shine a flashlight down the port. does it look wet? or the egr valve look wet? is the egr valve stuck open? if the egr valve is wet this is usually the egr cooler (can also be turbo seals if oil). another little trick that works sometimes is pull out the egr valve. in the port there is marks where the o rings were. look in the crevice between the first and second o ring while a buddy starts the truck. smoke will come out but if in between the o ring crevice you see any liquid pushing out, you have a blown egr cooler. replace your oil cooler too thats your root cause.