lift pump problems

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

lift pump problems

cumminsfreak182 cumminsfreak182
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/28/10
01:52 PM

Hey all I'm new to the forum. I drive a 1999 dodge ram 2500 24 valve cummins. recently I have been having the RPM's drop by 400 Rpms and then go back up. I've checked the tranny and it is for sure not that. I also had my mechanic change the fuel filter thinking it may have been clogged but no luck. my mechanic said he had noticed my stock lift pump didn't kick on every time he turned the switch over and he's not sure if it has a timer or if it is just going out. I personally think it is going out. so my question is this; does it pay to replace the factor lift pump? or could I get an after market lift pump and bypass the original lift pump and hook the aftermarket straight to the fuel filter? Please I really need help here s as it is my only ride to work every day. Thanks a million!

Scott  
Zach Auch

1999 dodge Ram- AirDog 150,Scheid diesel injection pump, 165hp injectors, fire ringed head,costumized wastegate stock hx35 pushing 39lbs of boost. S&B cold air intake, AFE intake horn, Snow performance stage 2 water meth injection.Edge comp box with hot unlock.

dieseldoc dieseldoc
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/30/10
01:24 PM

get a air dog 100 or 15 gph there cheap an replaces all fuel lines an comes with a water an trash seporator filters .only need 150gph if you have over size vp44 or large injectors.  

dieseldoc dieseldoc
01:25 PM

an have u been getting any dead pedal .  

02:00 PM

dead pedal as in no response to putting it to the floor? If I'm going about 65 and want to pass someone I'll floor it and it'll take a little bit to increase speed but I always figured it was because it didn't have the horse power to excel in speed like my dads diesel that is at 90 mph before you know it. You think its the throttle response?

I'm short on cash so I ordered the flow max lift pump that was in the mag in the last issue....  
Zach Auch

1999 dodge Ram- AirDog 150,Scheid diesel injection pump, 165hp injectors, fire ringed head,costumized wastegate stock hx35 pushing 39lbs of boost. S&B cold air intake, AFE intake horn, Snow performance stage 2 water meth injection.Edge comp box with hot unlock.

dieseldoc dieseldoc
02:37 PM

well always check stupid *** first. take the banjo off the back of the fuel filter housing ,that is ur main fuel supply from tank an when u bump the key the diesel should shoot out like a baby gizzer,now if it pores like a water hose ur lift pump is screwed.buy a airdog 100 an do away with the *** an u loose ur problems.an run lucase fuel treatment every 2 tanks.  

dieseldoc dieseldoc
02:39 PM

reason why buy air dog or a fass the filters protect ur whole fuel system ,a high preshur pump with no filters is just gonna get it there quicker.  

02:54 PM

The flow max still is getting run through the original filter plus it has a strainer before the pump, I didn't have the cash to order a more advanced lift pump when I orderd this one on Monday Frown. Thanks for the advice I will use it on my other trucks and I'll keep ya posted if it helps!!  
Zach Auch

S2khellaflush S2khellaflush
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/01/10
05:39 AM

Ok guys I'm new on his thing , also this is my first diesel truck it's a 2001 dodge ram 2500 24v 5 speed, it's completly stock the guy told me they rebuild the engine so it has like 30k miles right now , I  just got it a few weeks ago ! And it's was working perfectly find ! Now it felt like with less power.   Before I use to let go the cluctch and the truck would go by it self now sometimes does it and sometimes I have to press the gas , also it was louder now it's kinda quiet so I dunno what's going on . I got a straight pipe ,! Well thanks guys I hope yall can help me !!!  

dieseldoc dieseldoc
Posted: 07/01/10
08:03 AM

change the fuel filter an before you put it in get a rag an clean the inside of the filter housing cause it probably sat up while getting rebuilt.after u clean the housing fill it up with lucase fuel treatment,problem solved  

Posted: 07/05/10
11:16 AM

Hey Dieseldoc thanks for the advice on the lift pump it fixed the problem!!! Thanks a bunch@!!!!!!  
Zach Auch