Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

1993 ford 7.3 idi do's and dont's

cody93ford7.3idi cody93ford7.3idi
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/24/10
04:38 AM

Hi my names cody I just traded for my ford don't realy know much about the idi I'm wondering a couple things I should do to make it more powerful and if there is anything I should stay away from to keep it from blowing up haha.  All I've done to it is put clean motor oil in the fuel tank and it seems to make the cold starts better and it runs better  
1993 ford 7.3L idi 4x4 non turbo

tdbt3c tdbt3c
User | Posts: 200 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 10/27/10
06:32 AM

Motor oil in the fuel tank huh? That one's new to me. I've heard of tranny fluid in the fuel to make it smoke more, but never motor oil.
A turbo helps a lot, but it is pretty expensive. A quick and cheap solution for now might be a K&N air filter. I have a stock replacement if you want it.
You can also try using fuel additives like PowerService Cetane booster.
And of course you can turn up the fuel deliver screw. But without more air, more fuel just get's stinky and smokey.  
1988 F-250 7.3L w/Banks Sidewinder Turbo. Custom flat bed with hydraulic dump.

Posted: 11/12/10
05:45 AM

Alright cool. Thanks. Yea the motor oil actualy made the truck run better. Because it use to sputter when I held it at 2k rpm and first I changed the fuel filter and that didn't work, then a buddy told me to run motor oil to blow smoke and when I tried it the truck didn't sputter any more.  

05:47 AM

And how do I turn up the fuel screw  

jason.thompson jason.thompson
Guru | Posts: 839 | Joined: 06/08
10:38 AM

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0908dp_1987_ford_f250_buildup/stanadyne_injection_pump.html

The last step we performed was turning up the fuel delivery screw on our Stanadyne DB2 injection pump. On the passenger side of the pump, there was a small cover held on by two small bolts. We used a -inch socket on a -inch drive ratchet to remove the top bolt. We put a small pan under the pump to catch the fuel. Then we loosened the bottom bolt and let the cover hang by it. To line the injection pump up, we took off the round cover on the front of the engine where the injection pump connects to the timing gear. We saw three bolts and a dowel pin. When the dowel pin was in the 12 o'clock position, a 5/32-inch Allen wrench and a small mirror helped us turn the screw clockwise 1/6 of a turn, adding more fuel to the engine. Counter clockwise turns the fuel down, but do not go too far, because damage to the pump can occur.  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

jason.thompson jason.thompson
Guru | Posts: 839 | Joined: 06/08
10:43 AM

We've got 9 installments of Project 300 ’87 6.9L

Future ones include installing an electric fuel pump and propane injection.

Plus painting the truck and rebuilding its engine.

You might not want to do everything we're doing to our lucky IDI but you can choose from the smorgasbord we're offering.  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

tdbt3c tdbt3c
Posted: 11/18/10
09:35 AM

Jason: I'm looking forward to seeing what the propane injection does for you. I was just wondering the other day if a combination of water/meth and propane would be overkill, or even possible. I intend to do it on my 7.3 if it works for you. I look forward to another good article on project 300. Remind me, did you ever upgrade to head studs on Project 300?  

wesley93ford wesley93ford
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/06/11
03:35 AM

how much oil did you use and was it new or used  

wesley93ford wesley93ford
Posted: 09/06/11
03:47 AM

how do i time my 1993 7.3 deisel idi non turbo i took off my injection pump wrong. i took it off with the gear and cover still on the end of the pump and i went and got a new pump but dont know how to time the new pump with the motor any ideas  

ironhorse13 ironhorse13
Posted: 09/22/11
07:08 AM

how much oil did you put in and have you heard if it hurts the engine at all?  I have put tranny fluid in because that cleans up any water that is in the fuel tank but never oil.  

ironhorse13 ironhorse13
07:08 AM

how much oil did you put in and have you heard if it hurts the engine at all?  I have put tranny fluid in because that cleans up any water that is in the fuel tank but never oil.  

ironhorse13 ironhorse13
07:09 AM

Icon Quotecody93ford7.3idi:
Hi my names cody I just traded for my ford don't realy know much about the idi I'm wondering a couple things I should do to make it more powerful and if there is anything I should stay away from to keep it from blowing up haha.  All I've done to it is put clean motor oil in the fuel tank and it seems to make the cold starts better and it runs better

grizzly7.3IDI grizzly7.3IDI
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/09/11
09:12 PM

i never heard of usin motor oil. how much did you use? and did it hurt the engine at all?  

Techno Techno
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/10/11
09:26 AM

DO NOT put engine oil in the fuel tank. It is extremely harmful to the engine.
Oil contains additives specifically added to PREVENT it from burning. That means the combustion chamber will be coated with non-combustible grime and the engine will be extremely polluting to the environment. Not to mention its 100% illegal.  
-------------------
1996 Ranger 4x4, TDI, Kerma nozzles

tdbt3c tdbt3c
Posted: 11/14/11
07:20 AM

wesley93ford: I hope by this point you have already gotten your engine back in time, but perhaps a few others are wondering the same thing. I too made your same mistake. It took me a week and several trips to the Ford service center before I figured it out.
On the front of the engine there is a stack of four gears. The two middle gears have a hole and a "Y" for timing marks, 180 degrees opposite of each other, and the top and bottom gears have either a "Y" or a hole to match. Any two gears will line up, matching the mark on one on the tooth, and the other in the valley of two teeth.

The timing gear on the mechanical fuel pump can only bolt onto the pump one way, based on the hole pattern. On the gear (facing the radiator) you should see a small "Y" shape on one of the teeth. Ths must line up with the same mark in the valley of two teeth below. (I apologize if I'm wrong, they may both be holes, instead of Y's, but you get the jist).
If your eye sight is good enough, you can shine a light down in the slot at the gear below, and have someone rotate the engine SLOWLY BY HAND, to look for the mark. Once found, I marked the tooth with a paint pen. You may need something on hand to wipe the gear clean of oil to see the marks. I used brake cleaner since it evaporates and shouldn't affect the gears any.
Once you have your mark at the top of the gear, rotate the fuel pump as needed to get its timing gear on the bottom, and then lower it into place.

I fought this for a week straight, every day tearing it apart and putting it back together. I was unfortunately lining up a "Y" with a hole because I did not realize that the gear below had both a hole and a "Y". So I was 180 degrees out of time. I was able to start the truck with starting fluid, but it would smoke heavily and slowly idle down and die. It's a very obvious sign of being out of time.
God speed and good luck to all who face this problem!  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last