1988 F350 7.3 diesel problems

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

1988 F350 7.3 diesel problems

ibbroke_2 ibbroke_2
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/31/11
07:39 PM

i have a 88 f350 diesel that ran fine one minute now runs like crap.it barly starts then when it does smokes and misses like crazy.changed a couple injectors and the fuel filter thinking it was gelled up, still runs real rough like i did nothing to it.i need massive help quick with out spending a ton of money. Confused please help  

Jackknif3_Jo3 Jackknif3_Jo3
User | Posts: 147 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 02/01/11
09:52 PM

hard to start maybe glow plugs....I dunno just a guess.... or glow plug relay...I don't know enough about the old trucks to be certain...but that's why i hang out here. getting educated.  
It's time to kick ass and smoke some cigarettes...And I'm awwlll out of cigarettes!

93coaltrain 93coaltrain
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 02/05/11
09:04 PM

Replace your fuel filter and glow plugs and maybe a relay also check your return lines. good luck!  
93 Ford 7.3 idi factory turbo lifted four inches pump turned up 4in exsaust level one injectors

ibbroke_2 ibbroke_2
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 02/15/11
07:30 AM

well thanks for the help. but the problem ended up being a little regular gas in the tank that my good friend decieded to put in there and didnt tell me till it was to late.ended up messing up the valves for some reason.so im rebuilding the motor now.again thanks  

Jackknif3_Jo3 Jackknif3_Jo3
User | Posts: 147 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 02/17/11
06:47 AM

Ouch!!!Good Luck my friend!  
It's time to kick ass and smoke some cigarettes...And I'm awwlll out of cigarettes!

jason.thompson jason.thompson
Guru | Posts: 839 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 02/17/11
08:34 AM

I'm currently rebuilding my ’94 7.3L maybe we can compare notes?  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

tdbt3c tdbt3c
User | Posts: 200 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 03/03/11
07:07 AM

Ha! Is he still your friend? Did you make him siphon the tank with 1/4" hose? That's a minimum punishment.  
1988 F-250 7.3L w/Banks Sidewinder Turbo. Custom flat bed with hydraulic dump.

dieselman351 dieselman351
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/11
08:52 AM

try looking at the glow plug relay. my dad has a 94 7.3l and it did the same thing. it was running good one day and the next thing we know it started missing and some other things happened to it also. but check that relay. it could be your problem  

jason.thompson jason.thompson
Guru | Posts: 839 | Joined: 06/08
10:13 AM

Whenever it is running poorly turn off the engine and unscrew the fuel filter. If it is not completely full (and you should hear a sucking noise releasing the pressure)you have a fueling problem. Some type of leak or obstruction. Fuel return lines and o-rings on the injectors are easy to replace and a common problem.

The other thing you might now have is bad compression. This will not be an off and on problem. Take out your dipstick and see if you have a lot of intermittent puffs of smoke. This means your rings aren't sealing if lots of smoke. You can tell by watching the smoke if a cylinder is bad.

The other thing you have might be a glow plug. You can figure this out when the engine is warm. If it starts right up it could be a glow plug problem. If it doesn't start good when its cold and then its ok when its warm its definetly a glow plug problem. You can test glow plugs with a test light. Hold one end on a + battery source the other on the plug terminal. If the light comes on glow plug is ok.  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com