Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Hummer project = Chevy + Ford parts

H250 H250
Enthusiast | Posts: 303 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/16/11
11:29 PM

I originally posted this thread on the fullsizebronco.com site but i don't want to deal with all the haters! Apparently its highly frowned upon to use Chevy and Ford parts. I am not partial to any auto company. I like American made (like Chevy and Ford).

Hey i am a welder/machinist by trade.
I have always wanted a Humvee but i don't have an extra $75,000.00
I have always liked straight axle vehicles and the Humvee is independent suspension front and rear. I almost purchased a thrashed 94 Humvee (to restore) but the more i researched them the more problems i found with them.
I read a 53 page post about this guy who built a hummer over a ford F150 frame in his garage (H150)
I loved the idea of a Humvee but with the reliability (and ease of finding parts) of a Ford, Chevy or Dodge.
My plans were to go with a Cummins motor and Allison transmission. But i cant afford those right now. As soon as i have the money im dropping a Dana 60 axle in the front as well as a 5.9 cummins and eventually an Allison tranny.This is the reason i have the parts i do now and not the ones i want:
After reading the whole H150 post i decided this is exactly what i wanted to do.
I started looking for a late 80s / early 90s Dodge, Chevy or Ford 3/4 ton. My plan was to start with a fully functioning vehicle.
Then i was going to remove the cab/bed and build a custom hummer body over the top of everything. Buy a hummer hood, tires and build a brush guard for it. That was my original plan.
I have a buddy who was also planning a custom hummer build. He amassed a bunch of different parts:
Ford F250 4x4 gas powered truck minus the motor and drive train
6.2 Detroit Diesel
700r4 tranny
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
And a used rusted-out hummer body KIT+ hood
He had all this stuff rusting away and no time to work on it.
Long story short his wife divorced him and they had to split up all their stuff sell the house and all the rest of the lame stuff that goes on with a divorce.
He knew about my plans for a custom built hummer so gave all his hummer project stuff to me
It has a way to go before it is running, but i have been putting in 4-5 hours of work on it every night after i get off work.
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything

95 ram 2500 4x4, 4.10 gears, rebuilt trans, single disc torque converter, upgraded track bar, 3rd gen wheels,  Rebuilt starter(LarryBs), Steering gear box stabilizer, LarryBs fuel shut off soloniod , Moog sway bar bushings, grease-able sway bar end links

H250 H250
11:54 PM

It was stored outside so everything inside was soggy and rotting. I gutted the inside, patched the leaks and have been and have been Cleaning up the inside as well.

95 ram 2500 4x4, 4.10 gears, rebuilt trans, single disc torque converter, upgraded track bar, 3rd gen wheels,  Rebuilt starter(LarryBs), Steering gear box stabilizer, LarryBs fuel shut off soloniod , Moog sway bar bushings, grease-able sway bar end links

H250 H250
11:57 PM

as well as

Jackknif3_Jo3 Jackknif3_Jo3
User | Posts: 147 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 02/19/11
07:45 PM

Hey that's a sweet project you have yourself there bud! It's gonna be one bad ass truck when your done!!!Keep up the excellent work!! Oh maybe that fuel filter should be a little more protected or hidden it is exposed to rocks and sticks or debris may fly up and knock it off that would suck if your back in the bush some where wheelin. I mean no dis respect just a bit of constructive criticism. I really like what your doing. it's cool Cool  
It's time to kick ass and smoke some cigarettes...And I'm awwlll out of cigarettes!

H250 H250
Posted: 02/20/11
04:11 PM

Thanks for the advise on moving the fuel/water separator. As soon as i get a break in the rain i am going to move it.
I didn't let the rain slow me down too much. I got a couple seats for the front. So i have 4 bucket seats, now all i need is a small bench seat like the ones jeeps use and the seating will be done.

H250 H250
04:12 PM

The rain let up for a couple hours today so i installed the shocks.

05:59 PM

Those seats will look cool and function well with a good set of 5 point harnesses to keep you planted in the seat when your rippin it up!!! and the shocks look practically new after you detailed them.  
It's time to kick ass and smoke some cigarettes...And I'm awwlll out of cigarettes!

H250 H250
Posted: 02/21/11
02:29 AM

Thanks Man!
This is the new home for the fuel/water separator.

H250 H250
02:31 AM

The driver side handle barley worked.
I pulled off the inner door panel and this is what i found.
This is probably a little unorthodox but it works like a charm!

06:08 PM

I new it, this is Macguyver's hummer isn't it! hey nobodys gonna notice that doing ninety. besides it's behind the door panel. And a 100% more reliable than that wire. Hey good spot for the water separator.You can check it easily, just stick your head in the wheel well when your at the pump..keep it up you'll be cruising for summer.  

H250 H250
Posted: 02/24/11
11:18 PM

Hahaha nice i like that
Yep im pretty much working with what ive got.
I should gather up the tools im using and take a pic of them too(not the biggest selection)
I finally got a break in the rain. I sealed (with HVAC beutal tape) all gaps that would allow water in.
Replaced the bolts that hold the roof on with button head stainless ones
I also started painting the roof.
And its raining again!!!  

jason.thompson jason.thompson
Guru | Posts: 839 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 02/25/11
08:32 AM

Welcome H250 thanks for posting. Its fun to watch you problem solve through the pictures you took. Looks great we don't care about brands too much here. As long it has a diesel we like it!  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

Posted: 02/25/11
11:17 AM

Oh It's the truck style hummer, I like it even more. I'm trying to get outside to work on my truck but it's been -25c. I tried the other day and cracked a plastic connector on one of my fuel lines. To brittle at these temps, I'll have to wait till it warms up. For now I'll hang out @ DP. And read cool threads like this one.  

H250 H250
Posted: 02/27/11
12:48 AM

I like the truck style and the slantback style. I am going truck style for now but I am going to build a (removable) slantback for it also.
 I put a few gallons of diesel in the fuel tank (i made sure it was empty first) & hooked up the fuel lines to the fuel/water separator.
I ran the fuel line to the motor and pumped the line until clean i saw clean diesel.
Then i hooked the line to the fuel pump

H250 H250
Posted: 03/08/11
12:17 AM

The rain let up for a couple hours the other day. So i wired the in the head light plugs.
Here is a pic of the motor.34  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last