Lifting Cab without lift?

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Lifting Cab without lift?

70amxman 70amxman
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 04/12/11
07:09 PM

Has anyone lifted the cab off their truck without a car lift?  If so how?  Is there a way to just lift it like a hood and leave the back part of the cab sit on the frame?  Most likely not the safest way but on a budget could this provide enough room to pull the heads off the engine?  

70amxman 70amxman
07:43 PM

Only reason I'm asking is that the other day on the freeway my truck started acting up.

Started out like a sticking turbo, boost good once then lag next try around.

But then it started something I had not seen or felt before, when I would give it part or full throttle it almost got quieter like it did the opposite of what my foot was saying, then after staying on it it would suddenly come back and boost up.  It did this for a while and then went away.  Later on in some rush hour traffic when coming off idle or low throttle it would surge when I gave it some go pedal, almost like it was loading up, I could swear it even sounded like a cold start bark. When it would come to it would fade like earlier that day then boost, I was able to repeat this over and over.  I looked in my mirror to see what kind of exhaust I was getting, when it would surge or bark it was black smoke and way more then I've ever seen before, then when it would power up as boost built it seems i would get a puff of white/blueish smoke then normal acceleration with some faint soot.

I was planning on doing a EGR delete and oil cooler update(SS screen and upgraded cooler from Ford) in my driveway as I do not have a garage big enough for my truck.

I would say that my skills are good enough but not on par with a good mechanic, so I'm asking for lifting my cab in my driveway in preparing myself for the worst even though I hope for the best.

By leaving the cab somewhat on the truck I could lower it when my day is done to cover the exposed engine overnight from rain and bird droppings, a project that could take a good mechanic 20-30 hours will probally take me twice as long because I would be double checking everything and asking questions if needed.

Please let me know if I'm in over my head, I cant afford to pay 2-4K and have someone else do the work, If I do most myself I may be able to do it for less then 2k, depending on how bad it becomes.... Again hoping for the best.

-Thanks  

70amxman 70amxman
07:44 PM

Oh yea... my truck is stock and I have about 95,000 miles on it.  

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2049 | Joined: 10/08
11:20 PM

You could do it that way but you'll need to slide the bed back a little bit or you could end up creasing the rear of the cab or breaking the rear glass.

The easiest way to do it would be to disconnect the steering wheel from the steering box, disconnect all the electrical wires, and then lift it.  Once it's up off the frame, use jack stands to keep it there.  You need a good set anyways, and the constant up and down is indeed dangerous.

A cheap $20 tarp from Wal-Mart or Cabela's and some bungee straps and you'll be fine for covering it overnight or a few days.

Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

70amxman 70amxman
Posted: 04/13/11
05:51 PM

Good point on the glass and back of the cab.

How much would I need to lift the cab?  How heavy is it?  Could I build a place over the bed to set the cab on?  Would I be able to lift it high enough and somehow slide it over?  I could build something with some kind of cheap sliding bed of some kind with pvc pipe as the rollers....

Also, any word on what the heck my truck is doing?  What would be a good senario?  How bad could it be?  And what would be an honest oppinion on what it actually is?

When I pull the intake off the engine what might let me know if there is a bigger problem at hand?  Is there anything that would point a finger at the heads or head gaskets?

I want to know if I can get away with not doing studs and stuff.

Thanks  

Jackknif3_Jo3 Jackknif3_Jo3
User | Posts: 147 | Joined: 09/10
07:33 PM

My truck did the same thing ended up being a sticky turbo. Easy to fix you could do it in about half a day. Let me know if you want to know how i did mine.

You'll know when the heads go, white smoke non stop. I always check my coolant level and for water in the oil and visa versa.

good luck  
It's time to kick ass and smoke some cigarettes...And I'm awwlll out of cigarettes!

Jackknif3_Jo3 Jackknif3_Jo3
User | Posts: 147 | Joined: 09/10
07:43 PM

oh i almost forgot to tell you to delete that egr system or at least do the upgrade it. depending on your local emission laws. you better off doing it while you got the turbo off. Or just pop the valve out and inspect the intake for any wetness and clean the valve with some carb cleaner. But for sure your turbo is sticking. You need a scanning tool to check your codes. Unless you tow heavy crap and/or drive the *** out of your truck with a hot tune and she's not blowing white out the pipe your heads will be fine.  
It's time to kick ass and smoke some cigarettes...And I'm awwlll out of cigarettes!

Richies Truck and Auto Richies Truck and Auto
Enthusiast | Posts: 362 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 04/14/11
07:30 AM

Hey man, your issue almost sounds like TPS/IVS concern or simply loss of fuel pressure intermittently? As far as the lifting of the cab, I dont recall seeing what year and cab configuration you have? If you have leaf springs you can get away with lifting the cab a foot or 2 but it will suck doing it that way. If you have coil sprung front end, good luck! The coil towers will be impedeing your access to the heads. Your inner fender well is steel so that will be a major PITA unless removed also. I purchased 2 rolling chassis/bumper lifts off Craigslist for $300 and $400 each. They lift 5k and work awesome for all 4 HG jobs I did thus far. Also, if you have a Crew cab or extended cab, that will easily weigh 1500lbs or more. Not going to be too easy to do with floor jacks or other unstable method. I would not recommend it due to the level of danger involved.  
Rich
05 GMC 3500HD CC/LB LLY
Fully built!
06 GMC 2500HD CC/SB LBZ:
Being built....
2011 3500HD H&S...
2013 Denali 3500HD H&S....

70amxman 70amxman
Posted: 04/15/11
04:49 PM

Thanks for the info!!!  I'm glad I dont have head problems, a huge relief!!

My truck is a 03 so I have leaf springs and I only have an extended cab not the crew cab.

I'll check out the lifts you mentioned thanks for the help!