Diesel Power
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

05 Duramax better MPG

mxman91 mxman91
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 12/19/11
09:29 PM

I have 2005 GMC 2500 duramax. I use it as my daily driver and with the prices of diesel right now its sucking up a lot of money. I drive a pretty fair amount each month as i am in the air national guard and drive back and forth to my base which is 3hrs away. I have a Banks six gun programar and a aftermarket cold air intake. The truck has a 3in lift with 34in tires. Other than that the truck is stock. I am looking for a easy way to increase my Fuel mileage. And since there are no real diesel shops where i live i was looking for some suggestions on where to start.  

OelMotor OelMotor
New User | Posts: 19 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/20/11
03:29 AM

Step 1, stop driving an 8,000lb truck like a car.
Step 2, buy a car.  
Reth in peath Kim Jong-Il

mxman91 mxman91
Posted: 12/20/11
06:21 PM

Well if i could get away with not having a truck i would. But unlike some guys i use my 8,000Lbs truck to work. So if you know of a car that can pull 12,000Lbs at 70mph every day please inform me of it. Otherwise i will stick with my truck. THANKS.  

OelMotor OelMotor
New User | Posts: 19 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/21/11
03:53 AM

I assume you're not pulling 12,000lbs back n forth to work every day, or using it on base. If you were, you would be compensated by the guard for fuel or provided with a vehicle to use.
That means you don't NEED to drive it every day.  
Reth in peath Kim Jong-Il

jason.thompson jason.thompson
Guru | Posts: 839 | Joined: 06/08
11:14 AM

The lift and bigger tires could be removed...temporarily. An extended air dam up front helps mileage but looks dorky. How about Ammonia Injection??

I've also seen a syngas generator that uses plasma to reform diesel fuel into hydrogen rich syngas. Mixed with our own urine and an electrolysis process we could run 95% hydrogen and 5% diesel.  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

jason.thompson jason.thompson
Guru | Posts: 839 | Joined: 06/08
11:20 AM

How about adding a Cyclone Steam Waste Heat Engine to recover your exhaust heat? Then run your A/C, power steering, Alternator with the steam engine that also has a separate combustor for running when the big diesel is shut down. For idling in traffic. Have the steam engine also run a hydraulic pump and connect another hydraulic motor to your IFS front differential. This way you'll still have 4wd and be able to get rid of your front driveshaft (hard angle anyway) and transfer case. Add a carbon fiber hydraulic accumulator for brake regeneration and you'll get 150 mpg easy. This is my goal with my truck.  
___

My personal goals include developing perpetual motion and bringing power to the people. I’m also working on building a ’87 Ford F-250 7.3L IDI (Project 300) on a paycheck- to-paycheck budget. One day, I’d like it to be a renewable diesel-steam-hydraulic-compressed- air-wind-solar-infinitely-variable-transmission-equipped hybrid, but until then, I’m just happy to have a simple diesel-powered pickup.

jason.thompson@sorc.com

mxman91 mxman91
11:33 AM

Well since I am in the guard I only work there once a month. So I have another job. I do not trailer anything for the guard.  

MathewNewlin MathewNewlin
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/28/11
05:19 PM

There you go, you don't need a truck (unless you're compensating for something?), so get a cheap commuting car.  

NoWVO NoWVO
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/07/12
09:13 PM

Agreed. A Car is the best option. A Jetta TDI will get upwards of 40mpg.  

dirty_max dirty_max
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/28/12
12:16 AM

hey how bout we put something constructive on here for the guy instead of giving him a hard time.  

NoWVO NoWVO
Posted: 02/28/12
10:02 PM

He was given exactly the information he needs, to drive a sensible car instead of an 8,000lb 310hp paperweight.  

mxman91 mxman91
Posted: 03/02/12
03:21 PM

I guess all of yall are complete retards and have no life. Apparently you cant read. I NEED my truck to haul. I cannot get a car and still do the work i do.  

greenthunder7.3 greenthunder7.3
User | Posts: 115 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 03/02/12
06:13 PM

is the exhaust stock? putting an aftermarket setup might help out and free it up for better milage. it probly wouldn't help a ton but it might be worth a try. if you guys don't have a suggestion to help with the problem then don't post or learn to read because he has stated several times he needs a truck to work with.  
-------------------

99 f-350 superduty gtp38r turbo, dieselsite heui pump, southbend dual disc, regulated return, fass, autometer z series guages, 4 in downpipe to 8 in stack, afe intake.

NoWVO NoWVO
Posted: 03/05/12
05:44 AM

"I guess all of yall are complete retards and have no life. Apparently you cant read. I NEED my truck to haul. I cannot get a car and still do the work i ***
Earlier.....
"Well since I am in the guard I only work there once a month. So I have another job. I do not trailer anything for the guard."

That means YOU are the only retard here and you have no life. Congratulations troll!  

mxman91 mxman91
Posted: 03/07/12
07:06 PM

WOW  please learn what are you are talking about before making yourself look bad. I work for gaurd part time it's not a full time job something I do just to help serve my country. I have full time job that has nothing to do with my unit.

And yes I already have a aftermarket exhaust.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last