F650 w/ Cummins 5.9 cutting out

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

F650 w/ Cummins 5.9 cutting out

todell88 todell88
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/24/12
04:16 PM

I have an 05 f650 powered by a cummins that keeps stalling on me when driving. when it stalls I have a hard time getting it to restart. I thought changing the two fuel filters would help but its still got me confused. I can let it idle but it will not act right when driving. I'm frustrated with it and every direction has been a dead end  

JLHcummins JLHcummins
User | Posts: 85 | Joined: 08/10
05:41 PM

Does it have the older style mechanical engine or the newer common rail engine?  

todell88 todell88
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/12
05:46 PM

the newer common rail style  

nevrenufhp nevrenufhp
User | Posts: 111 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 01/25/12
06:17 PM

Check fuel pressure, then rail pressure.  
Daily driver: 67 F100, 300, 4V,cam, 4 spd, soon to be Ford 6.6 from 92 F600
My low buck fuel rate site:
www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm

vdubdezl vdubdezl
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 02/24/12
04:36 AM

When you say you replaced the fuel filters, did you replace the black in line filter? It is usually very hard to find and I believe it is under the ECM. Just follow the fuel line from the tank to find it. Nevernufhp is right. These 5.9's are notorious for eating electric fuel pumps. Bad thing is the fuel lines are "small" according to Cummins. Cummins says its Ford's fault and Ford says it is Cummins' fault for making shotty pumps. It would be nice to upgrade the electric pump, but you would have to figure out a way to fool the ECM into thinking the new pump would have the same amperage. If you just put one on, the ECM will know and derate the power by 15 %.  

1stLtDan 1stLtDan
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/31/13
09:40 PM

Crank sensor and or cam sensors can actually act up and not set codes. Cummins goes by engine serial numbers for parts. O'reilly auto parts is pretty good with heavy duty diesel truck parts. Google the sensors for part numbers. I had a couple school buses doing the same thing even after the lift pump and injection pump was replaced under the lifetime recall. Crank sensors fixed the ones I had issues with. Sensors were not very expensive and with your's being a 2005 model it may be worth a shot and save time to just change it and test drive it. If you have a engine running fine and want to put a good used sensor in then try that. Let us know. Also, call the last 8 of your vin in to a Cummins certified garage. Make sure if your fuel system is covered under their recall. If switching or replacing crank sensor doesn't solve it at least you may be able to get the fuel pumps covered under lifetime recall.  Dan - Indiana.  

idahobuckaroo idahobuckaroo
Guru | Posts: 1240 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 03/09/13
12:39 PM

I agree with Dan about calling a Cummins certified garage.  Another suggestion is to contact Cummins Tech Service group directly.  They are very helpful has been my experience, and they are always ready to help.  The Cummins contact information is posted below.  Hope this works out.

Joel
----------------------
Cummins Care. You Call. We Care.

Cummins Care is ready to help you. You can call Cummins Care at 1-800-DIESELS™ (1-800-343-7357) in the U.S., or 1-812-377-3000 outside the U.S. You can also submit your question with our online form, and an expert will respond to you via email.

https://cumminsengines.com/customer-care.aspx

If you need assistance in finding a repair location in North America, please contact Cummins Care at 1-800-DIESELS™ (1-800-343-7357) and select the service assistance option. We will call the nearest service location to confirm that they are qualified and can provide prompt repair to your vehicle.  
----------------

Towin' machine...  Joel

Cummins High Mileage Club Member
TDR Turbo Diesel Registry Member
SMARTY Tuners Performance King

Houssam El Chaar Houssam El Chaar
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/14
Posted: 07/05/14
06:45 PM

Hey guys . I havr a 2006 ford f650   5.9 cummins in it . Been having same problem . Changed ecm cuz for some reason cummins said cant read codes . Didnt help . Took the harnesses out n checked wvery thing . Didnt help . Changed fuel pressure sensor didnt help . I noticed two things . Diesel pump doesnt wprk when it stalls but am not sure if the conputer is telling it not to work . And another thing two lights disappear of my dash . The "wait to start" and "stop engine"  . So i would turn the egnition off n then back on i dont see them so the truck would crank but wont start unless they show up again . The funny part every time this happens to me i tow it to the shop the truck would start normally . Any suggestions ?? Thanks