Tires and performance

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Tires and performance

midnightrider midnightrider
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 02/21/12
07:53 PM

I've seen in the mag how bigger tires reduce power.  I would like to see an article about how tire size effects power.  Maybe dive into a way to figure out just how damaging to performance bigger tires are compared to running stock tires.  

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1304 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 02/21/12
09:01 PM

It does not seem to rob as much power as people think. The more a turbocharged diesel strains the more power it makes. Just do the Curb Weight, 1/4 Mile E.T. to Horsepower conversion with some cars that are diesel and others that are gasoline powered and you will find the the diesels actually make more horsepower. Check this video out of 8300 lbs 7.3 that is rolling on 37s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cEp3gSJ_s0&list=UUi0d7NyfvWx_UmMl2Tem5Ig&index=42&feature=plcp

He said he went to 35s and lighten the truck up and it was slower. The truck was heavier and rolled on 37s and it was faster.

Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

midnightrider midnightrider
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 02/22/12
01:21 PM

I think that the truck was slower with the 35s because he couldn't get the tires to hook up.  He was spinning the tires longer/more with the 35s than he was with the 37s.