Ad Radar
Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

most reliable daily driver ford, chevy, dodge?

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

most reliable daily driver ford, chevy, dodge?

binks0678 binks0678
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/19/10
01:57 PM

In the market for a used diesel and i really have no idea which truck would suite me best. All you ever here is the die hard loyalist to one brand saying how much better it is just because of the name on it. Im not loyal to any brand i just want the truck that will fit my needs. Looking at trucks between the years of 03-05 crew cab 4x4 short bed autos. I will probably never pull anything more than a atv. I dont want to make it make huge power probably just exhaust programmer intake. My price range isnt to high so im lookin around the 150,000 mile range. I just want the truck that will not give me problems for daily driving. I really like the 6.0 strokes but i know if i get one i will be probably looking at doing the egr, oil cooler, head gaskets and studs as soon as i get it as preventative maint. dont know as much about the other trucks except duramax had injetor problems, and dodge transmissions are weak. whats everyone think Confused  

binks0678 binks0678
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/10
03:25 PM

anybody???  

JLHcummins JLHcummins
User | Posts: 85 | Joined: 08/10
06:20 PM

Personally my opinion I would go with either the chevy or the dodge.I work for a construction compnay and we use nothing but fords.The 7.3s are pretty reliable but the 6.0s have given us a lot of trouble,and the 6.4s seem to be pretty good so far except for the radiators and the fuel pumps.As for the duramax my dad has a 05 gmc and it hasn't really given him any problems just normal stuff like front hub assemblys or sensors,I have a 05 dodge 2500 and I love it,the trans like you said isn't the best out there but if you won't be towing much I think it would be alright.Good luck  

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2054 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 09/21/10
12:41 AM

The folks at Goerend can fix the Dodge transmission problems for under 3 grand and fixes the biggest issue with the Dodge/Cummins driveline.

As for the Chevy injector problem .... even if you swap out the injectors you could have injector issues, its well covered here.

For the Ford 6.0L PowerStroke, most of it's fixes amount to an engine rebuild.

My advice to you is weigh your options and pick the one you like to drive the most with the least amount of problems.

Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

elnealo elnealo
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/28/12
09:57 PM

Personally I enjoy the Cummings brand and am quite certain a finely tuned 6B will outperform any v8 diesel on the market, having said this I work at a Heavy equipment garage and we also service tractor and trailer and run ford company trucks, as im not keen on fords I will say they are nearly always in the shop and rarely for servicing ,out of the say 20 company fords 7 of them are road ready and as for GM diesels they seem to be quite reliable as many coworkers of mine have old chev beaters, so power and play is your thing I recommend dodge and if its a daily driver its a toss up between dodge and chev, I will give ford that its pushes some power but for its problems not really worth it  

akatheduck akatheduck
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/03/12
04:42 AM

just a note on the chevy with the inj problems talk to an inj repair shop they are the experts on these every one i have talked to says the same thing the one main problem with the gm inj is no lift pump at the fuel tank dodge and ford do put one in the tank and i still see these guys installing aftermarket lift pumps on to me i would invest in one first thing as u also get added filtering ability as the big oil companys seem to want to screw us over by selling us this stuff they call diesel . the fuel nowdays is crap i farm use diesels everyday and have noticed a BIG DROP in the qaulity in the last three to five yrs!!!! have been a disel tech for 20 yrs just my adv good luck have fun!