new ford 6.7

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

new ford 6.7

icehorse icehorse
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/16/12
03:30 PM

help I had a incident where gas was put into my new 2012 ford 6.7. insurance is paying for it. the mec stated that the engine needed to be replaced and it would be the same motor but with a small block. I do not know why the same motor can't be replaced. Any info would be great.  

Jacknif3_jo3 Jacknif3_jo3
User | Posts: 113 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 02/16/12
06:04 PM

are you sure he said small block or short block?  

icehorse icehorse
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/21/12
04:14 PM

may have stated short block but why do they not put the same motor back into the truck. This was the gas stations fault by puting the wrong fuel into the tanks. only had truck for a few months. what is the diff betwen blocks?  

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1304 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 02/21/12
07:39 PM

Short block means it is just the bottom end of the engine containing the block, crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons.

Long block means it is a mostly complete engine it includes the block, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, complete cylinder heads and camshaft.

Small block it means nothing more that the physical size of the engine block itself. Big block and small block are terms that were commonly used back when muscle cars ran the roads.

Big block vs Small block- I'm really not going to be able define this in any way because so many people have a different opinion on what the difference is or was. My definition is the physical size of the engine block itself (or better yet what ever GM, Chrysler, Ford and ect... classified it as)

Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

ford6.0freak ford6.0freak
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 02/23/12
07:44 AM

The reason they are putting a short block in mite have to do with the fact that they don't have the parts avliable to fix yours. It will be the same 6.7 but just a diffrent bottom end. The Mechanic will take all the parts off the old block and install them on the new on. The short block you are getting is probably new not reman.