Air Cleaner

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Air Cleaner

CowboyCadillac CowboyCadillac
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 02/16/12
07:24 PM

I am looking for an exploded view of an air cleaner like the ones on semi trucks. I want to downsize one and put it on my Powerstroke. The big thing I'm looking to find out is how they keep the water out during rain and such. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  
Nuttin better than a 7.3L PowerStroke

bluetech151 bluetech151
Guru | Posts: 1304 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 02/17/12
11:16 PM

like this? heres how to http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/RESOURCES/Riffraff%20PDF%20-%206637%20Intake%20Instructions.pdf

Fm18  
Diesel Power: It'll eat up anything in its path and spit out pure charcoal.

NoWVO NoWVO
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/20/12
03:31 AM

No, that is a very poorly made hot air intake.

He means something like this:
24225150 1  

bluetech151 bluetech151
Posted: 02/21/12
09:45 PM

You are right it is a warm air intake, BUT wait how is this any different than many COLD AIR INTAKES?

Also a warm air intake give you more MPG. There is less oxygen so less fuel injected and less pumping loss because warm air is less dense than cool air.

I will say that of all the stock intakes on diesel pick-ups the 7.3s seem to have the worst one. I find it easy for the 7.3 to pull more air in than what the factory intake was ever intended to. The filter minder would light up even with brand new air filter OEM or not.

There are plenty of people using the 6637 air filter, some have even built a box around them for cooler air. Stock filters cost about 40 bucks and last less then 3 months the 6637 filter cost 40 bucks and can last more than 9 months.

I just don't see the point (other than looks) to go with an external big rig style filter. Air flows up then back down and water has a hard time going up.

NoWVO NoWVO
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/22/12
07:03 PM

Its different in that its a purely HOT air intake. Most "cold" air intakes are just as garbage, BUT the difference is they have baffles that at least TRY to keep hot engine bay air out of them.

Do you know anything about engines? Warm air will NOT give better mpg, the injected fuel quantity is controlled by YOU. Warm air will not reduce pumping losses because there are no significant pumping loses, nearly all the compression energy is recovered on the rebound (power) stroke. This is not a gasoline engine, what you've attempted to describe applies only to them.

And, actually, the air flows downwards and then back up.  

Jacknif3_jo3 Jacknif3_jo3
User | Posts: 113 | Joined: 10/11
07:31 PM

I've never seen a pick up truck with a huge Big rig filter hanging off the side of it. That would be cool if it had stacks too  Cool  

bluetech151 bluetech151
10:45 PM

NoWVO, I apologize if I came across as a jerk.

Warm air can yield better fuel economy (Maybe 0.001 mpg more) not really enough to notice with these trucks. Yes I agree that Warm air intakes apply more N/A gas engines than diesels. Lets say it is 80°F outside. AIT before the turbo weather it is 80°F or 100°F it is not that big of a deal once it passes through the I/C. Now if it was 160°F that could be a little more concern. Rolling down the road with the 6637 air filter, there is about a 10°F to 20°F difference between ambit temp and under the hood temp on a really hot day.http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/petescover.php

Injector timing, pulse width, duty cycle, fuel/oil pressure, dynamic flow, and a light foot have way more to do with fuel economy with a diesel do you agree?

One like this air goes up then down and maybe up again. But air must flow up a some point.
Images?Q=Tbn:And9gctjfh4ar0aghrb1ntxvs Z 2Qjguwudi6oujlromnfrdh6swlh

Here is one that someone boxed in. You could build a box for that filter for 30 to 50 bucks.
Images?Q=Tbn:And9gcrbkgg Q4v4zrynz6qtfqxgwl4x6v E22hhyuwlrxehmo8rvgjj

"I've never seen a pick up truck with a huge Big rig filter hanging off the side of it. That would be cool if it had stacks too"

It would be unique to see a one of these trucks with a big rig style filter on it I know of people who talk about doing but never actually go through with it. In a way I say go for it. But remember it is going to be on the drivers side, unless the intake was or could be routed to the passenger side.

CowboyCadillac CowboyCadillac
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 02/29/12
07:48 AM

Yes just like this, I jus don't know how they deal with water as your goin down the highway at 70 in the rain. In my truck its got a shield kinda in the front grill to aviod that but how do these external intakes NOT suck water. I'm not goin to put one on; its jus to big but I want to down size one custom.  
Nuttin better than a 7.3L PowerStroke