1993 6.5 turbo diesel

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

1993 6.5 turbo diesel

brucesmith brucesmith
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/09/12
10:39 AM

I have a 1993 chevy 6.5 turbo that stalls, surges, dies and generally will not run correctly. I have spent almost two grand on new injection pump, lift pump, fuel filter and whatnot. I have searched the web and tried everything I've found from people with similar problems with this engine. I can't afford sinking more cash into new parts that don't fix the problem. Anyone got any ideas? If there is an expert in these old diesel chevys I would be happy to phone you at your convenience to discuss this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If more info is needed or if for any reason you would rather phone me or email my number is 805 644 8670 and email is brucesmith10@gmail.com  

turbodieselchev turbodieselchev
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/10/12
01:28 PM

i have that problem as well, if you figure it out, could you let me know thanks!

Jordan  

RipperWest RipperWest
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 07/17/12
01:51 PM

The electronic pump controller tends to corrode and lead to speratic fuel characteristics such as you have described  

chevy5.9 chevy5.9
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/12/12
07:42 AM

Icon QuoteRipperWest:
The electronic pump controller tends to corrode and lead to speratic fuel characteristics such as you have described

The 92 and 93 have a 4911 mechanical pump the efi pumps were used in 94 and up models with the PMD failure issue that your referring to.
Michael  

5toMidnight 5toMidnight
User | Posts: 167 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 10/12/12
09:00 PM

Check that the catalytic converter and/or mufflers are not plugged/collapsed. Disconnect the exhaust and see how it runs.  

elizasanchez121 elizasanchez121
User | Posts: 59 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/14/12
10:29 PM

Ya I would also suggest it!!!  
low flow meter, turbine flow meter, ultrasonic flow meter,vortex flow meter
portable ultrasonic flow meter

white_rabbit.93 white_rabbit.93
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/23/12
09:23 AM

did you replace the pump yourself or did you have someone do it? iv got to relace mine and iv been through everything lift pump filters and any thing you can think of if yall have any advice i need it lol  

challam80 challam80
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/03/12
08:53 PM

Welcome to the club. I did the same to my 98, where is your PMD located? First I Suggest buying the 6ft extension cable and move it away from the engine to keep it from getting hot. (ebay for $20) If your truck runs fine until it starts getting warm and then starts to surge/stall or cut off then your PMD is failing and needs to be replaced. I bought a used one and my truck is running fine now.(Did not like the idea of dropping $200 on a new one and still have the same issues) Actually I replaced it Last because I read every blog concerning the 6.5 and it seem to be a little of everything that could be causing it. I opted for the least costly solutions and made my way towards the ones that make you cringe when you see the prices. So I replaced all the other possible problems, vac switch, new sock in the fuel tank, new oil pressure sensor and inline fuel lift(oil pressure sensor controls the lift so you might as well replace both)after all this was complete it still was surging or would die on me. Almost tanked it up and was gonna have a hot dog roast. Have never in my life had so many things to do to a vehicle to get it to run right. I also have a new turbo wastegate actuator I am gonna also put on just to seal the deal. If its worn it can cause boost issues so I opted to replace it anyway. Put the used PMD with a number 5 resistor on it and it is running good. Mileage is just fine, not drink diesel like before. You should also purge your fuel filter every other week to ensure no water is in it, If you don't and get some bad fuel with water and a drop gets into your new injection pump thats all she wrote, Your back to square one and thinking about a weeny roast. The bleeder T valve is right there at the front of the motor, open it up and bleed it into a water bottle and check for water. I add an additive from SS Diesel Supply to my fuel which eliminates moisture and anything else that developes in diesel, improves my mileage too. Hope this helps, Good Luck.  

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2065 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 11/05/12
05:23 AM

Give Walt at SS Diesel a call, or Heath Diesel.

These two companies know a lot about the 6.2/6.5L diesels and will be able to help you out.

-Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

hogeditor1 hogeditor1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/09/13
07:42 AM

On the riser inside the filter housing there is a round screen filter (that no one has a replacement for, including Chevrolet)that was blocked solid on mine, took it off threw it away and the truck has never ran better  

Chevy Cummins Chevy Cummins
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/20/13
08:43 AM

Standadyne, SS Diesel, gmcummins.com sells them-there a common and important filter -Don't throw them away it's there as a final screen before fuel goes to pump-if that happens; well! Good Luck  

Chevy Cummins Chevy Cummins
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/20/13
08:47 AM

Icon Quotechallam80:
Welcome to the club. I did the same to my 98, where is your PMD located? First I Suggest buying the 6ft extension cable and move it away from the engine to keep it from getting hot. (ebay for $20) If your truck runs fine until it starts getting warm and then starts to surge/stall or cut off then your PMD is failing and needs to be replaced. I bought a used one and my truck is running fine now.(Did not like the idea of dropping $200 on a new one and still have the same issues) Actually I replaced it Last because I read every blog concerning the 6.5 and it seem to be a little of everything that could be causing it. I opted for the least costly solutions and made my way towards the ones that make you cringe when you see the prices. So I replaced all the other possible problems, vac switch, new sock in the fuel tank, new oil pressure sensor and inline fuel lift(oil pressure sensor controls the lift so you might as well replace both)after all this was complete it still was surging or would die on me. Almost tanked it up and was gonna have a hot dog roast. Have never in my life had so many things to do to a vehicle to get it to run right. I also have a new turbo wastegate actuator I am gonna also put on just to seal the deal. If its worn it can cause boost issues so I opted to replace it anyway. Put the used PMD with a number 5 resistor on it and it is running good. Mileage is just fine, not drink diesel like before. You should also purge your fuel filter every other week to ensure no water is in it, If you don't and get some bad fuel with water and a drop gets into your new injection pump thats all she wrote, Your back to square one and thinking about a weeny roast. The bleeder T valve is right there at the front of the motor, open it up and bleed it into a water bottle and check for water. I add an additive from SS Diesel Supply to my fuel which eliminates moisture and anything else that developes in diesel, improves my mileage too. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

There's no PMd on a 93-it's mechanical!  

Jennifer Winget Jennifer Winget
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/12/13
04:36 AM

I also had chevy 6.5 turbo a couple of years back and facing the same problem tried everything to run it properly and spent a lot of cash but found nothing. Finally a hired an expert to get some solution but he also suggested me that no need to spend cash on it, as this won't work. So i would also suggest you please don't waste your cash either hire an expert or leave it.  
ProFlow Dynamics

Tylercug Tylercug
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/14
Posted: 04/08/14
09:01 PM

My 1993 6.5 chevy surges more when its cold and especially a lot at 40 mph in 4th gear when i let off the throttle then if i give it some gas then let off again it stops any ideas on how to stop this would be great