Ad Radar
Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

Best truck to tow a multi car trailer with??

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

Best truck to tow a multi car trailer with??

Riff_Raff Riff_Raff
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/25/12
01:13 PM

I posted this in the towing section but got no responses, so I thought I would try the forum instead.

I would like to switch from my 1984 wedgeback car hauler to a Dually with a multi car trailler to haul my Jeeps. I will end up with a 3car humpback trailer, but may have to start with a 2 car bumper pull or gooseneck trailer . I am getting to that age where I am tiring of not having the amenities of a newer truck.

I am looking to spend no more $12,000 for a dually. And I have made my mind up I want a diesel. It doesn't have to be the newest thing out there, I just need a solid reliable truck that can pull around 20,000lbs. (5k for each Jeep and 5k for the trailer) I would like A/C, *** Man trans, 6sp maybe?,(auto is not a deal breaker) and for the truck to be very reliable. I have even seen F-450/550 work trucks in this price range. I thought about getting a flatbed F-450 and putting one Jeep on the bed and towing the other two on a trailer.

From what I have found, I should probably be looking around the year of 2000. So my question is, which truck would best suit my needs? And do I even need a dually, I have seen some people towing this setup with single rear wheels?  

MidnightRider76 MidnightRider76
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/26/12
12:10 PM

If you are looking to spend a max of $12,000 and set on a Ford, your best bet is to find a 7.3L Powerstroke from 1999-2003 with low miles (250K or below).  The 7.3L would also be perfect for anyone who is new to the diesel world, as they are very reliable motors, some which can last over 500,000 miles with PROPER care.  Make sure not to get a 2003 with the 6.0L as those motors for that particular model year are prone to early failure due to head gasket issues.  *NOTE:  Early 2003 models came with the 7.3L, while later 2003 models came with the 6.0L.

If you are looking to haul your Jeeps for long distances with a 5th wheel or a flatbed with a trailer, I highly recommend you stay with dual tires.  Dual tires will allow you a bit more payload, and a lot more stability, especially when a crosswind hits you.  You pay a bit more for tires (only because you now have two extra to deal with), but it is highly worth it.

There are also plenty of reliable custom tunes out there for the 7.3L, most recommended are ones developed by Jody from DP Tuners, Diesel Innovations, and Tony Wildman chips.  If you wish to make crazy amounts of power with your truck, you may want to find a 1999.5-2000 model year which carry motors with forged connecting rods instead of the powder coated ones.

Other than the Ford model year I listed, for $12,000 you can also look at Dodge trucks with a Cummins engine between the years 1996-1998 and 2003-2004.5.  I don't know too much about Dodge as I don't own one, so I would stick with Ford.

If you have more money in your budget, I highly recommend a Ford 6.4L Powerstroke anywhere from 2008-2010.  They are absolute hot rod towing machines!

Check out this article for more information about quality used diesel vehicles:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1201dp_10_best_used_diesel_trucks/viewall.html

Good luck in your search and don't give up on these forums!  
2003 F-350 CC DRW 7.3L (Too many mods to list)
2001 F-350 CC DRW 4x4 7.3L (Current project truck)

Riff_Raff Riff_Raff
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 07/04/12
06:01 AM

Thanks Ryder, I am not set on a Ford, but they seem to be what comes up most in my searches. And the 7.3 is known for it's longevity. My main concerns are 4drs, relabilty, towing capabilty and be in my price range. I used to drive C4500 tow truck and the Duramax was a great engine, but I don't see many GMs in my price range when I look. I used to work at a Dodge dealer and have seen the Cummins engines go both ways, either be a great motor or always in the shop. So hopefully some Dodge or Chevy guys will jump in this thread and point out the good from the bad.  

MidnightRider76 MidnightRider76
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 07/07/12
05:54 PM

No problem Riff_Raff, even if I didn't believe you were set on a Ford, I would still recommend the Ford 7.3L over other motors, due to it's longevity and reliability.  If that wasn't the case I wouldn't own two of them!  From my experience, there isn't a whole lot that goes bad with the motors, it's the transmission you have to watch out for.  Fact of the matter is, the tranny wasn't really designed for a diesel, although the same could be said for Dodge.  With the tranny you have two paths it could fall in, either it'll last you over 300K miles or it'll start overheating and leaking fluid.  With my modded 2003 7.3L I had no choice but to fortify the tranny due to what I tow and the extra HP and torque I'm making with my mods.  I would recommend a tranny fluid cooler, a mag-hytec or equivalent pan, and a triple disc torque converter, if you overhaul/rebuild the tranny (minimum of course).  I installed all, along with other stuff, and haven't had any problems with my tranny since then.  Keep in mind, I had to do this due to my engine power mods.

By the way, both my trucks are crew cabs, very spacious backseat in my opinion.  

If you have any questions about the 7.3L,  I'll do my best to answer them if you'd like.  Good luck looking for your future towing rig!  
2003 F-350 CC DRW 7.3L (Too many mods to list)
2001 F-350 CC DRW 4x4 7.3L (Current project truck)