fuel mileage

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

fuel mileage

knothead4850 knothead4850
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/11/12
01:23 PM

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 cummins. it has 35in tires and 20in wheels. stg 3 garmon transmission good for 850hp. S&B intake,full %in MBRP exhaust, levelin kit. I have the diablo predator sport programmer. I been runnin it on economy. i just changed it to the extreme setting. I wanna know how i can get better fuel mileage! Whats yalls suggestions? and i wanna get a new programmer. what should i get?  

idahobuckaroo idahobuckaroo
Guru | Posts: 1248 | Joined: 09/12
05:39 PM

My suggestion regarding improved MPG and programmers would be a Smarty (MADS electronics), and use Lucas fuel additive. Lucas in the fuel will help improve your fuel economy, and maintain your fuel system; especially help extend injector life and injector performance.  

Personally, I lean toward the Smarty because the Smarty is made for Cummins (MADS Electronics).  The Tech Service group at Smarty has been very responsive to my questions in the past.  

Please note when using engine tuners for increased HP and torque would be to consider rebuilding your transmission if it is an automatic using a heavy duty torque convertor, billet shaft, clutches, bands, Cummins flex plate, etc.  Or, you might damage the trans from too much torque and power.  

The Lucas product was referred to me from other mechanics in the Idaho area, and Cummins Tech Service stated that they did some research on Lucas, and found that it did a superb job of keeping injectors clean, and it lubes the entire fuel system, including the injector & fuel pumps.  The mixture ratio for Lucas (Lucas Upper Engine Cylinder Lubricant) is 2.0 oz. to 10.0 gallons of fuel.

Keep in mind that if you decide to use Lucas fuel additive, it takes 3 to 4 tank-full of diesel to start to see any increase in MPG.  On average, Lucas should bump your MPG (3 to 5 MPG minimum).  Lucas by itself usually is not enough to increase MPG, but with the modifications you are considering, you should see an improved fuel economy.  

Buying Lucas by the gallon is the cheapest when you purchase on-line.  Checkout www.Pricegrabber.com for the best price. Price per tank-full is about $1.34 USD if you pay $24.44 per gallon.

Hope this helps.  

Joel  
----------------

Towin' machine...  Joel

Cummins High Mileage Club Member
TDR Turbo Diesel Registry Member
SMARTY Tuners Performance King

BamaBoy93 BamaBoy93
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/12
08:07 PM

should i leave it on the extreme setting or the performance?  

08:27 PM

Extreme setting is fine.  Just take it easy on the throttle.  
----------------

Towin' machine...  Joel

JoshW3235p JoshW3235p
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 12/04/12
04:57 PM

I've run my trinity on performance forever with no real issues. Tranny is bone stock. Of course my truck does lead a pretty easy life on the most part. I think the tow setting blows to much smoke for the amount of pedal. I also think the extreme idles a little rougher than the others. I've probably had diablosport for 60k miles or so.... Loaded up and busting its ass in the mountains I have seen low fuel pressure code before. So just keep that in mind....that would be the lift pump not the injector pump I would guess. Had a big ol fat load of fire wood on a big trailer trying to hold 80mph up negro mountain (Yes that's what its official name is) in Maryland...probably didn't help matters.

But to answer your question simply. Diablosport programmer can keep me at about 20mpg on the highway at about 70mph. (on performance tune). That's the absolute best I've ever got. My combined mileage is about 16 ish for the last year or so.  
2006 Dodge Cummins 2500Q 4x4 SLT. AEM Workhorse Induction. DiabloSport Predator  stacked w/ PowerPuck, BD Deep Transmission Pan, All Royal Purple Fluids, Line-X(Over The Rail), Access Tonneau, 5% Window Tint. Recon Bed Lights, LED Bar and Tail Lights. 17 x 9 Pro Comp 6001series with Pro Comp Extreme A/T Tires (305/60R/17), Rough Country Leveling Kit, Rancho 9000 shocks. Silverline 4in Dual Exhaust

IAFF- Local 805

Posted: 12/26/12
08:47 PM

A Smarty Tuner by M.A.D.S. electronics is a good tuner for Cummins since Smarty is made only for Cummins.  I have a Smarty on two of my five Cummins (all are 5.9L's).

The Smarty works great on the 1999 and the 2002.  There are 9 Catch settings, and I have both trucks set at max settings for Advanced Timing, Injector Duration, and Torque Settings with MPG as the following: 23-24 in town, and 28-31 hwy.

Hope this helps.  Consider rebuilding and beefing up your trans if you drive an auto in the 48RE.  All of our trucks use stock injectors and are straight piped using K&N drop-in-box air intake filters, and with the Smarty we see 400 rwhp at 2,300 rpm.  Good luck, and take care.

Joel  
----------------

Towin' machine...  Joel