Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

'02 7.3 Just replaced the hpop, motor won't turn over Hydraulic?

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

'02 7.3 Just replaced the hpop, motor won't turn over Hydraulic?

redplanet59 redplanet59
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/01/12
07:40 PM

Replaced the high pressure oil pump last night. It sat for about 2 weeks with the old one out while saving up the $700 for pump and valve. When it went out on the freeway the motor turned over fine ( just didn't start), now it won't turn over and acts like the cylinders are full of oil/fuel something. Could the injectors have bled down while it sat without a pump? I am about to take off the valve covers to get to the glow plugs so I can empty the cylinders, but am wondering if this is something that happens or if something else is going on. I'd love t avoid this if possible.  

pking1 pking1
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/04/12
05:35 PM

how was the engine acting before you pulled the pump?

If you lost power it may not have been your pump. I lost power and it was just the wires to the glow plugs under the valve covers. they cost about $100 a peice. when they get to hot they expand and then pop off if both came off you would not get anything out of your motor. you can buy new ones or put a couple black z straps around them to hold them in place. Hope this helps.

p.s. I did all the work myself in a couple hours dealer said 6 hours labor.  

greenthunder7.3 greenthunder7.3
User | Posts: 115 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 12/04/12
10:35 PM

are your batteries dead from sitting  
-------------------

99 f-350 superduty gtp38r turbo, dieselsite heui pump, southbend dual disc, regulated return, fass, autometer z series guages, 4 in downpipe to 8 in stack, afe intake.