Ad Radar
Diesel Power
Mobile Icon BtnMobile Icon Btn RO
Newsletter

2013 International MaxxForce DT school bus FUEL MILEAGE HELP!!!!!!

Diesel Power
Item Posts    Sort Order

2013 International MaxxForce DT school bus FUEL MILEAGE HELP!!!!!!

Russell22B Russell22B
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/04/12
11:15 AM

hey everybody im doing this for my dad. he just bought a 2013 international rear engine pusher school bus. well it has the brand new maxxforce dt 260hp motor in it with an allison trans. The problem he is having has nothing to do with power or reliability just fuel mileage. The dealer said that he should be getting between 10-12 mpg. He is consistantly getting 6.3 MPG and nothing he does is helping. Now I am a mechanic but do not work with big diesels and rarely work on light duty trucks with diesels so im clueless here. Confused  i do know however that all this emission crap is killing the diesel industry and this new bus is loaded with it. Mad  so our question to you guys is how in the world can we get better fuel mileage out of this thing? and do it legally without cutting emissions so the bus will still pass our yearly inspections out here on the eastern shore of md. any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!!  

5toMidnight 5toMidnight
User | Posts: 167 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 11/04/12
03:25 PM

There is absolutely nothing you can do legally except drive slower and/or put a block of wood under the throttle.  

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2044 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 11/05/12
06:21 AM

It's brand new, and until the engine breaks in you're going to get bad mileage.  Once it's broken in, you'll still get bad mileage but it'll be slightly better.

Your best bet will be slow acceleration and keeping it at 55 MPH.

-Kris  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

Russell22B Russell22B
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 11/12
04:36 PM

considering it IS a school bus. and the route he runs its very rarely he gets up to 55 mph lol the only reason we are writing this forum is because his old CAT 3116 school bus got 8 mpg and the first cummins powered school bus got between 7-8 with a bad turbo. so are all these emissions stuff robbing mpg number this bad? is so we definitely need to do something about not only light duty trucks but also the monster diesels running down the road. how can a normal average joe afford to keep buying new trucks if the mpgs just sink every year. thanks guys for your input  

MarineOne MarineOne
Addict | Posts: 2044 | Joined: 10/08
10:28 PM

Unfortunately you're just gonna have to do what most of us have done, which is shelf the emissions stuff until it's inspection time.

I'm already planning to do it to my '08, which is stock and getting 15 MPG .... after deletes, I should be getting 22 to 27 MPG.  

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 5.9L - Smarty CR S-06 on SW #5

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 6.7L - H&S MiniMaxx on DPF tune for towing
Titan Fuel Tank
Aero Muffler 4040XL
Nathan AirChime K3LA

1stLtDan 1stLtDan
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/31/13
09:02 PM

Call 1.800.448.7825 and verify where your regional office for Navistar is and their contact info. The info should be in your owner's manual. While the bus is still under warranty have your concerns documented. Ask specifically that a Navistar troubleshooter contact you. Sounds like there is an issue with programing that Navistar techs/troubleshooters needs to look at with a laptop diagnostics. Do not stop until they assure you someone will be sent to check this out. If there is a shop close to you then Navistar will have you bring the bus there. Break in periods for the engine to reach better fuel mileage is understandable and yes driving habits and hill/mountain areas will keep fuel  mileage lower. Still, I would have this issue documented so you are covered under warranty should there be tech bulletins that certain troubleshooters have access to then they already know what they need to address. It is worth the effort. Let us know later if you had any luck or success.